A portfolio is often described as a set of projects. In contrast to a program a portfolio of projects doesn't need to be aligned to a single goals. In smaller companies a portfolio is often limited an managed by the global management. In larger companies a portfolio manager can help to give more insights in different running projects especially on the long term. This by answering questions such as
- How much workforce is needed?
- Which projects are over time or orver budget?
- and what is the impact on other projects or the business?
- Are the different business cases still valid?
- Can I start project A before B or should I wait?
- Isn't it better to extend the scope of project A instead of creating a new project B
The portfolio manager will help to allocate global resources and give indications on long term changes in workforce needs. He will furthermore help with the long term strategy and planning alignation. If this need sounds familiar, don't hesistate to take contact.